I’m not exactly certain how long I’ve been away so far – but let’s just say 2 weeks. It has been, in a nutshell, awesome. If you have been following me on Instagram – which you should be, it will change your life – then you will have experienced just a few moments of this ridiculous trip I have taken with 7 other of my closest friends in the world and the weirdest people I have ever met. I could probably go on about them and the experiences we have shared for a good 10,000 words; however because 1) I am lazy and 2) I am writing this on my phone – oh and 3) you probably don’t care – I shall be sharing with you a few tips or mishaps in terms of our wardrobes, in case you have to embark on anything similar or are just nosy.
To set the scene: we have been living out of rucksacks (dofe style for any of you public school peeps) and have had to pack for both day sightseeing and night time, well, destruction of our minds, bodies and souls. Washing facilities have been limited and folding is definitely an issue. So without further rambling here is a list of things I have learnt or have cunningly achieved over these last couple of weeks:
1) Just because you are leaving the UK, do not assume the weather is therefore by default sunny. Because let me tell you, it rains in Europe. Thus, try to avoid packing solely summer dresses and shorts.
2) One pair of jeans is not sufficient – you will need another. And definitely black to hide the random stains you will find in the morning.
3) A cap is your best bad hair day friend.
4) Travelling on trains requires maximum comfort; de facto your pub crawl t-shirts tend to be airy and clean (plus a pair of offensive travelling trousers à la trying to be on your gap year but aren’t as you forgot to apply deffered).
5) Only attempt to bring trainers/plimsoles which you don’t mind looking like the back end of a horse by the end of a trip.
6) Hostel showers are, for lack of a better word, ‘ratchet’ so you should probably bring a pair of flip flops seeing as they take up minimal space and will protect you from the weird stains and hairs.
7) Back to the rain thing – you NEED a pacamac.
8) Underwear can be washed – don’t use up valuable space on your jumbo packs of m&s knickers.
9) Don’t pack anything you particularly love – looking like Angelina Jolie is not your priority, plus, no matter what you wear there will always be some deluded perv in the club who will try it on.
10) And finally – travel with friends who also have great wardrobes, after all, sharing IS caring.
Hope you liked this short but sweet post – pity my lack of ability to find a computer. Leave any of your tips/horror stories from travelling wardrobes in the comments!
Until next time, xoxo.